- Attend a Recruitment Workshop
- Applicants participate in a two hour activity-based workshop in which they will be assessed on their willingness to participate, ability to follow directions, attitude, and creativity.
- Applicants choose whether to apply formally at the conclusion of this workshop.
- Callbacks / One-on-One Interview
- Applicants we are interested in getting to know better are invited to a Callback session that will include a one-on-one interview with Stargate Theatre’s artistic leaders and company manager.
- MTC will provide participants a round-trip MetroCard.
- Applicants must bring completed forms: Consent to the Release of Confidential Information and MTC Appearance and Materials Release. (These will be provided at the Recruitment Workshop.)
- Offers will be made directly to selected applicants. Agency contacts also will be notified.
- All applicants will be notified of final status.
- Selected applicants should compile documents required for payroll purposes: NYC Employment Certificate (“Working Papers”) and employment authorization documents (e.g. Valid U.S. Passport, OR government-issued ID Card AND Social Security Card).
- Orientation Session
- Company members attend a mandatory Orientation Session during which they will receive a comprehensive overview of the program and expectations, complete payroll paperwork, and get to know one another.
- MTC will provide company members a round-trip MetroCard and snacks.
- Applicants must bring required employment authorization documents.
Recruitment for the Stargate Theatre 2017 Sharon Sullivan Company has concluded. If you are interested in being considered for future companies, please click here to enter your contact information.
Q: Who can participate?
A: Stargate Theatre is intended for youth, ages 16-20, who have had some involvement with the criminal justice system.
Q: How do you define involvement with the justice system?
A: We define involvement with the justice system broadly. Previous company members have been incarcerated, mandated to attend an alternative to incarceration diversion program, and/or on probation. Please note that we do not ask “what did you do?” or similar specific questions about your justice involvement history prior to an offer of employment.
Q: Do you accept both male and female applicants?
A: Following the advice of many leaders in this kind of work, Stargate Theatre is a single-sex program. The summer 2017 Sharon Sullivan Company of Stargate Theatre is limited to male applicants only.
Q: Do I have to be referred by an agency or organization?
A: No, though the majority of our company members in the past have been referred by an after-care or legal agency/organization. As long as you are involved with, or have had past involvement with the justice system, and meet the age requirements, you may participate independent of an agency or organization.
Q: What’s the schedule?
A: Rehearsals take place from July 5-August 19, 2017. We work from 4:30-7:30pm, Monday through Friday except on July 21 and 28. Company members should expect to be at the theatre from 2-9:00pm on August 18 and 19 for performances. There is a final follow-up session on August 24 from 4:30-7:30pm.
Q: Can I miss rehearsals?
A: Stargate Theatre is a job, and your fellow company members are counting on you to be present and actively participating throughout the seven week rehearsal process. Company members late to rehearsal more than three times, or absent more than twice, are subject to termination.
Q: How much are company members paid?
A: Company members are paid $11.00 per hour (pre-tax). Additionally, company members are provided snacks at the beginning of each session and a roundtrip MetroCard at the end of each day.